No Money for Eid

A Play Based on a True Incident

Actors: Emperor, Emperor's Wife, Emperor's Eldest Son, Children, State Treasurer

(At the Emperor's home in Damascus)

Children : Dear mother, Eid is almost here, when will You get our clothes?

Emperor's wife: OK, I'll talk to your father.

(Later when the Emperor has returned from his duties)

Emperor's Wife: Eid is approaching and the children have no clothes

Emperor : Well I'm sorry, but I have used up this month’s salary, I have no money left to buy clothes for them.

Emperor's wife : Well, in that case, go to the State treasurer for the next month's salary in advance.

Emperor : OK, I can do that.

(At the state treasurer's residence)

Emperor : May the peace of Allah be upon You.

State treasurer : And may the peace and blessing of Allah be upon you also, what brings you here, O Leader of the Faithful?

Emperor : Well it's a little embarrassing but, I was wondering if I could take my next month's allowance in advance as I need to do a bit of shopping for Eid?

State Treasurer : Ya Ameer ( O leader) ! I would be willing to oblige, but I'm afraid there is a tough condition on taking salaries in advance.

Emperor: (surprised) Oh, what might that be?

State Treasurer : Can you guarantee me that you would be alive next month to repay the borrowed amount?

Emperor: Who can give such a guarantee? I think I'll give the Eid shopping a miss this year. May Allah reward you and peace be upon you.

(Back at the Emperor's Home)

Emperor's wife : Did you manage to get the money?

Emperor : No.

Emperor's wife : Why not?

Emperor : I couldn't provide a solid enough guarantee. ( the Emperor then goes on to explain the reason). Please tell the children that their father cant buy them clothes this Eid.

Emperor's wife : Praise be to Allah for such treasurers. I'll tell them.

(Eid day)

Emperor : (To children) My sons, I apologize for not being able to buy you new clothes this Eid, I know it might be embarrassing for you to face your cousins in your old clothes but its not my fault.

Eldest Son : Dear father, We feel proud of the fact that our father did not break the trust with which he is entrusted and are not ashamed. Inshallah, Allah will clothe us in much finer garments on the day it matters most.

Emperor : ( With tears in his eyes) Your patience will not go unrewarded my children; your patience will not go unrewarded my children!

The End

Identities Revealed

Emperor : Caliph Umar bin Abdul Aziz ( b. 682 AD d.720 AD)

Emperor's wife : Fathima bint Abdul Malik

Emperor's son : Abdul Malik ibn Umar bin Abdul Aziz


(From a forwarded email)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Apture