How to Quit Your Job?

By Margaret Heffernan

I remember the first time I had to tell my boss I was leaving. After 13 years with the same firm, I’d become fed up, frustrated and bored. My new job had higher status, more autonomy and a lot more money. With my ego at an all-time high, I couldn’t wait to go in and tell my boss — with the full panoply of vindictive glory — that I was leaving to work for a competitor who truly appreciated me.

Thank god a friend stopped me.

Most people have fantasies of the triumphant exit. Especially if it’s taken you too long to leave a dead-end job, the delight in escape can be hard to mask. But it’s vitally important. Why?

However satisfying the immediate thrill of sticking it to your boss, you need to remember that your paths may well cross again. Life is long and the world isn’t nearly as big as you might imagine. I’ve crossed oceans and changed industries only to find myself at a conference table with former colleagues. No one wants to spend a career dodging unnecessarily offended co-workers.

Moreover, every career is a reputation. That reputation isn’t built on big events but on thousands of small conversations, exchanges, meetings and phone calls. However frustrated you may have been, if people think well of you, it’s a shame to waste that asset for a moment’s delight. Keep your reputation; you’ll need it.

This pertains to exit interviews, too. Savvy executives know that this is not the moment for revenge. If your co-workers or supervisors were truly incompetent, you should have said or done something earlier. Leave it for the exit interview and your integrity will be shot. At best, you look like a coward, at worst deceitful. Lambasting everyone you’ve worked with won’t fix the company, it will merely ensure that you never work there again.

When I finally calmed down enough to tell my boss I was leaving, I gave him a bottle of his favorite wine, saying that I didn’t want my exit to leave a bad taste in his mouth. I’d come to understand that how you leave a job defines how you will forever think about what you did and learned there. It can be a chapter in a book that is about success or about failure. But it’s never the end of the story.

3 comments:

Blog27999 said...

Did you realize there's a 12 word sentence you can speak to your crush... that will induce intense emotions of love and instinctual attractiveness for you buried inside his chest?

That's because deep inside these 12 words is a "secret signal" that triggers a man's impulse to love, look after and protect you with his entire heart...

12 Words Will Trigger A Man's Love Response

This impulse is so built-in to a man's brain that it will make him try harder than before to take care of you.

Matter-of-fact, fueling this dominant impulse is so mandatory to getting the best ever relationship with your man that the instance you send your man one of the "Secret Signals"...

...You will soon find him open his mind and soul to you in a way he haven't experienced before and he'll perceive you as the only woman in the world who has ever truly fascinated him.

Zoe said...

Personal branding is a marketing practice of building your reputation and promoting your skills, expertise, experiences and overall image by means of intentionally creating and influencing the public perception of you. This branding is different from professional branding which is creating a distinction around your name or your career. Read: 5 best personal branding tips for finance and accounting professionals

Anonymous said...

We will 2qmm2n2

Post a Comment

Apture